Police attempt to disperse followers after they collect in central London forward of the UEFA EURO 2020 last.© AFP
Italy beat England on penalties within the Euro 2020 last to be topped champions on Sunday evening. Nevertheless, the thrilling finale was overshadowed by scenes of violent dysfunction forward of the historic sport in London and racist abuse on social media towards some England gamers following the workforce’s defeat.
Right here is your 10-point information to this large story:
- “Small number” of followers barged their approach into Wembley Stadium forward of the ultimate, London police mentioned.
- Quite a few movies emerged on-line of safety workers seen “rugby tackling people to the ground” each inside and outdoors the venue.
- One video went viral which confirmed a throng of males throwing punches and kicks as simply a few stewards try and intervene.
- London’s Metropolitan Police mentioned it made 49 arrests, and that 19 officers have been injured whereas managing the ultimate.
- On one other bitter word, racist trolls on social media focused Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka. All 3 England gamers had missed their spot-kicks.
- Metropolitan Police tweeted that they have been “aware of a number of offensive and racist social media comments” being directed in direction of the footballers.
- Police mentioned they might be investigating “offensive and racist” social media posts directed at these gamers.
- The English FA mentioned it was “appalled by the online racism that has been aimed at some of our England players”.
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson slammed the “appalling” racial abuse towards England’s Euro 2020 workforce.
- Conservative MP Tom Tugendhat demanded that social media corporations take motion.
Matters talked about on this article